Murgh Rezala is a curry dish popular in Bengal in which chicken is cooked in a special sauce.
- 700 grams chicken
- 1½ tbsp ginger and garlic paste
- 1 onion blended (large sized)
- 1 cup yogurt
- 4 green chilies crushed
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp red chili crushed
- ½ tsp black pepper crushed
- ¼ tsp nutmeg and mace powder
- ½ cup oil or as required
- 2 cloves
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts paste
- 1 tsp poppy seeds crushed and soaked
- 3 red chilies
- 2 pinches whole spice powder
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
- Wash and clean chicken pieces.
- Extract the juice of ginger and garlic and keep aside.
- Blend a large-sized onion, and grind cashew nuts to a fine paste. Also, crush and soak the poppy seeds. Keep them aside for later use in this recipe.
- Place chicken in a mixing bowl. Add ginger-garlic paste, blended onion, yogurt, green chili, salt, red chili, black pepper, and nutmeg-mace powder. Mix well and let the chicken marinate for 30 to 40 minutes.700 grams chicken, 1½ tbsp ginger and garlic paste, 1 onion, 1 cup yogurt, 4 green chilies, salt, ½ tsp red chili, ½ tsp black pepper, ¼ tsp nutmeg and mace powder
- Add oil in a heavy-bottomed pot and whole spices and sauté for a few seconds. Add the marinated chicken pieces and stir continuously on medium or high flame for 5 minutes till the raw smell disappears and the chicken is slightly seared.½ cup oil, 2 cloves, 1 black cardamom, 2 green cardamoms, 1 cinnamon stick
- Now pour in the remaining marinated mixture and mix.2 tbsp cashew nuts paste, 3 red chilies, 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Then add cashew nuts paste, soaked poppy seeds paste, and red chilies. Stir and mix well to coat all the pieces.
- Cover the pot with a lid. Continue to cook on a low or medium flame for 15 minutes or until the chicken is almost done.
- Remove the lid when the chicken is done. Sprinkle whole spice powder and fresh coriander leaves.2 pinches whole spice powder, 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves